Audition for our House Teams or our Touring Company!
Sea Tea Comedy Theater 2019 Audition Details
It’s time! Sea Tea Comedy Theater is looking to fortify and expand our diverse cast of committed, talented, experienced, and flexible performers. Auditioners should be willing and eager to continue to learn, grow, and adapt with us as we strive to create high-quality, intelligent comedy for Connecticut and beyond. To support this goal, Sea Tea is holding three different types of auditions:
- Auditions for improv and sketch teams wishing to perform regularly at the theater
- Auditions for individuals wishing to be placed on a new improv team, or to be added to an existing team
- Auditions for individuals wishing to join the Sea Tea Touring Company, a group of excellent improvisers that performs on the road at festivals, colleges, nonprofits, events, and much more.
Sea Tea Comedy Theater Mission Statement & Artistic Vision for 2019-2020
Present high-quality, affordable, original entertainment to a diverse audience. By providing opportunities and a home for comedians and performers, we cultivate an inclusive comedy community and springboard regional talent to a national level.
Our vision for this year: the Sea Tea Comedy Theater has been open for almost three years. While we have had an amazing opening few years, it is time for us to build larger audiences and an even stronger community and national profile by delivering consistently excellent (and even mind-blowing) performances. We are planning for this year to be focused on sharpening the comedy skillsets of ALL of our performers and teams. This year, we are especially interested in improvisers-- old and new-- who are committed to leveling up their comedy. The names of the game this year: curiosity, intelligence, creativity, stage presence, polish, acting, a commitment to learning, and a willingness to be coached. Let’s all get to the next level and be one of the best improv theaters in the country.
Audition Dates and Times
(at the THEATER unless otherwise noted)
Teams auditioning for recurring the Theater's shows (Improv or Sketch)
- Tuesday, May 28 - 8:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- Saturday, June 1 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 4 - 8:30 pm to 10:00 pm
Individuals auditioning for the Theater's house improv teams
- Tuesday, May 28 - 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Saturday, June 1 - 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 4 - 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Individuals auditioning for the Touring Company
- Wednesday, May 29 - 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm at the Studios
- Sunday, June 2 - 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm, or 6:00 to 9:00 pm
HOW TO REGISTER FOR AN AUDITION TIME
You may register once for each type of audition (Touring Company, Individual, and Team).
- Complete the doodles below.
- **Make sure to complete the audition form in the doodle description!** New this year!
- Before you press the Send button on your audition registration, write down the day and time you choose (it will disappear from your view once you hit Send).
- We will e-mail you with a confirmation within 48 hours of receiving your online audition form!
- If you need to change your registration time, please e-mail email@example.com.
WHOLE TEAM AUDITION
TOURING COMPANY AUDITION
WHAT ABOUT CALLBACKS?
- Some teams and individuals might be asked to attend a second round of auditions.
- Callbacks will be held the weekend of June 15. More details to come.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Please arrive half an hour before your scheduled audition time, and be present for the entirety of your scheduled audition slot.
What to expect at the team audition:
- Perform a 15-to-20-minute improv set in the form of your choice.
- Brief interview with the entire team together.
- Audition with whatever form you want. Short Form. Long Form. Sketch.
What to expect at the individual audition:
- Up to 18 auditioners at a time, who will perform 15-minute montages in groups of 6.
- Possibly a brief interview at the end of your audition.
What to expect at the Sea Tea Touring Company audition:
- 1.5-hour blocks, up to 16 auditioners at a time.
- Mix of short form and long form sets.
- A brief interview.
What will the auditors be looking for during the audition?
Sea Tea Comedy Theater’s Artistic Team want to see you:
- Support your scene partner’s ideas and make them look good
- Play to the top of your intelligence
- Carry a strong stage presence
- Commit to your scenes and the choices you and your scene partners make
- Ground your scenes in reality, and make bold choices to follow the fun!
What is the deadline for signing up for an audition slot and submitting my details?
- In order to properly plan for each audition, we will be closing audition sign-ups the day before the audition date.
- For example, if you are auditioning on June 1, you must schedule your audition by 11:59pm on May 31.
Ahh! I have plans. What if I can’t make the auditions or callbacks?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about makeup dates.
What are the weekly show days at and times at the theater?
- Sea Tea Comedy Theater will have shows Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and often other days.
- The frequency that any given team will perform can vary depending on the team’s availability, the total number of teams selected through auditions, the quality of the team’s performance, and the Theater’s Artistic Calendar.
When will I know if I am cast?
- Sea Tea Comedy Theater will release the cast lists for all auditions simultaneously at the end of the entire Theater Audition process. Announcements will be no later than June 30.
Can I audition for more than one opportunity?
- Yes, you can audition for any combination of the three opportunities: with a Team, as an Individual to be placed on a new Team, and/or to be a member of Sea Tea Touring Company.
- In order to be considered for any of the three categories, you must audition separately for each opportunity.
Which opportunities are paid?
- Sea Tea Touring Company performances are often paid (and when they are not, we always let you know before you accept the gig).
- Performances at Sea Tea Comedy Theater are unpaid. As a collective of artists, we find value in having a space dedicated to our comedy, and so we have chosen to prioritize creating as many opportunities as we can for for great comedians. Otherwise we would need to be scrutinizing every single show, and evaluate whether it would sell enough seats to pay the cast. In that case, we would stage far fewer shows for far fewer comedians than we do today. As the theater grows, we will continue to evaluate our sustainability model, and consider whether we can begin pay performers. In the meantime if payment is a priority for you, please consider auditioning for Touring Company, since it offers paid opportunities.
Can I audition as an individual to be placed on a short-form improv team?
- For individual auditions, we’ll only be doing long-form montages. Montages test basic scene work, which is also essential for quality short-form.
- For callbacks, if you have expressed a preference for performing short-form, and there are enough others interested in performing short-form, you might be asked to perform a short-form set with others who are also interested in performing short-form.
Can I audition as a Sketch Team?
- Sure! Bring the team and a variety of live sketches to perform on stage to showcase your writing and performance talent. No tech will be provided. Please keep props, costumes, and set pieces to the minimum necessary. It is, after all, called sketch.
- If you can’t commit to writing and performing regularly, then instead of auditioning, whenever you have a show ready, you can pitch your show to the theater.There are also bi-monthly Sketch Summits where your team can submit a few sketches to be performed as part of a larger show.
What if I am cast?
For Teams and Individuals placed on Teams:
- Teams are expected to rehearse regularly with a coach.
- Show schedules will vary depending on the availability of both the teams and the theater. Teams could perform as often as weekly, or as infrequently as quarterly.
- All team members get free admission to all shows on the nights you perform
For Sea Tea Touring Company
- Members will be required to attend a 16-week training program, schedule TBD.
- Following the training program, members will be expected to rehearse twice monthly together at Sea Tea Studios.
- Performance schedule will vary depending on the availability of the individuals and the Touring Company’s gigs.
- Monthly Touring Company show at the Theater with a rotating cast.
- Many Touring Company shows are paid opportunities for performers.
What if I am not cast?
- Auditions are far from the only way to perform at Sea Tea Comedy Theater. Sea Tea also hosts shows that include jams, lotteries, mixed groups, guest performers, guests teams, and more. Because you've auditioned, now we know you'd like to perform, so we'll keep you in mind for special shows and mixed group events. Please keep performing, practicing, and stay involved in the Sea Tea Comedy Scene!
- Keep studying the art of comedy. Sea Tea Studios offers classes, workshops, and coaching to strengthen the qualities we look for in the performers we cast. Many of our classes end with a performance at the theater. We'll be happy to offer you guidance on what improv skills you should focus on, so that you'll be ready for the next round of auditions.
I haven't completed the improv classes at Sea Tea Studios yet OR I am an advanced improviser who has recently moved to Connecticut. Should I still audition?
- Yes! We're all still studying the art of improv, so still being in classes shouldn't stop you from auditioning ... and if you're cast on a team, you shouldn't stop studying! There's always another form to learn, and a new perspective to explore.
- Some of our most wonderful performers have been advanced improvisers from other states who have made our way to us. You do not need to complete our program to audition. That being said, it’s a great idea to jump into a class or workshop to get a sense of our style and values before auditioning. And see shows!
- After past auditions, all of our new team members continued to take Sea Tea Improv classes; it's perfectly normal to both begin performing and continue your studies.
I don't have a lot of performance experience. Should I still audition?
- Give it a shot. We can’t promise you’ll be cast, but auditions are a great way to get more performance experience under your belt. You might feel nervous, so just focus on making your scene partners look good.
- Even if you're not quite ready to be cast on a team, your audition will let us know you're interested in gaining experience and someday performing, so we we might reach out to invite you to perform in a Lottery Show, Mixed Group, or other special one-off improv or sketch projects to help build up your performance experience.
How long does an improv team remain a team at the theater?
- Indefinitely, pending continued artistic alignment with the Theater’s Artistic Team.
- At the discretion of the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Directors, a team can be removed from the schedule and/or the roster outside of the review process if there are significant performance issues, for example, failure to show up for two scheduled shows, issues involving sexual misconduct, violence, substance abuse, reckless endangerment, damage to the space, etc.
What if I have a question that isn't answered here?
- Please e-mail your question to email@example.com.
- We’ll keep updating this FAQ as new questions come in.